The online application period for the 2016 Fishman Prize is now closed. Winners and finalists will be announced in spring 2016.
Teaching Video & References
Submit your application.
To get started, complete the online application, including basic background information and responses to two short essay questions. Before you begin, we strongly recommend that you read the collections of essays from previous Fishman Prize winners.
Submit a videotaped teaching sample and reference form.
Selected applicants will be asked to submit a teaching video and reference form from either their current principal or another school leader who can offer perspective on their success in the classroom. Guidelines on how to create and upload the videos will be provided.
Participate as a Semi-Finalist in an unannounced classroom visit by TNTP.
Selected applicants will be asked to allow a TNTP staff member to conduct an in-person visit to their classroom for a single observation within a 2- to 3-week period.
TNTP will arrange in-person classroom observations that will take place in March and April 2016.
Attend an in-person interview for Finalists.
A small group of finalists will be invited to an in-person interview event with a panel of judges. The interviews will take place in New York City. TNTP will cover travel costs and associated expenses. The judges will select up to four winners.
This event will take place at the end of April 2016. Winners are typically announced a few weeks after in-person interviews.
To be eligible for the Fishman Prize, an applicant must:
- Be a current, full-time teacher who is responsible for teaching and assessing at least one class of students for a school year;
- Teach at a public school (including charter schools); and
- Teach at a school where at least 40 percent of all students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch.
In addition to meeting the above eligibility requirements, successful candidates must demonstrate:
- An extraordinary ability to lead students from all backgrounds to academic excellence;
- A keen understanding of effective instructional practice and an ability to articulate it clearly; and
- A passion for teaching and a deep commitment to advancing the teaching profession.
Applicants do not need to be nominated to be eligible to apply.