450 resources from more than 50 great schools and districts.
Retaining Top Talent
- Ready to go Resources you can use right away.
- Some assembly required Resources you can customize to your school's needs.
- Build your own Resources to spark your curiosity and help you plan for the long term.
Focus on differential retention, instead of overall turnover.
Monitor retention rates by teacher effectiveness, with the goal of retaining more top performers and fewer low performers.
- The Irreplaceables Executive Summary (TNTP)
- Template: Planning for Long-Term Irreplaceables Retention (TNTP)
Prioritize the retention of your most effective teachers.
- Retention Guide: Retain high-performing teachers in your school (TNTP)
- Retention Tool: Create strategies to retain high-performing teachers (TNTP)
Ensure high expectations for instructional practice in your school.
Provide frequent feedback and help teachers improve.
Offer regular, informal feedback – both positive and critical.
- Feedback Meeting Guide: Offer actionable post-observation feedback to teachers (Uncommon)
- Article: Feedback as Professional Development (EdWeek)
Identify areas for development and provide opportunities to learn new strategies.
Set a high bar for excellence and celebrate it.
Recognize exemplars of practice and outcomes publicly.
Reserve praise for excellent work, not just any work.
Encourage high performers to continue teaching at the same school next year.
Ensure top performing teachers continue to experience professional growth over their careers.
Partner with teachers as they think about and plan for career progression.
- Review suggestions and resources on the Toolbox Career Progression Page (TNTP)
- Tactical Template: Plan specific strategies to retain your most effective teachers (TNTP)
Create informal leadership roles and opportunities in your school.
- Leadership Development Pathway: Provide leadership opportunities to effective teachers (Pittsburgh)
- Ten Roles for Teacher Leaders (ASCD)
Put high performers in charge of something important.
Identify and remove barriers to effective teaching.
Identify the barriers to effective teaching.
Provide access to additional resources for classrooms.