450 resources from more than 50 great schools and districts.
- Ready to go Resources you can use right away.
- Some assembly required Resources you can customize to your school's needs.
- Build your own Resources to spark your curiosity and help you plan for the long term.
Clearly define exceptional instruction and differentiate teacher development.
Use a shared, school-wide definition of effective teaching to guide your work in hiring, teacher development, observation, and evaluation.
- Definition of Effective Teaching: Define effective teaching to guide your school (KIPP)
- Definition of Effective Teaching: Define effective teaching to guide your school (Rocketship)
Identify teacher development needs using evaluations, observations, student data, teacher input, and school-wide goals.
- Development Plan Tool: Create a goal-oriented action plan with teachers (HISD)
- Professional Development Plan Template: Complete a growth plan with teachers (Achievement First)
Include individual coaching, collaborative development, and group sessions in your development opportunities.
Implement systems and processes to support and monitor improvement.
Implement the Teacher Development Cycle of assessing needs, providing development opportunities, and following-up to determine effectiveness.
- Professional Development Guide: Create a unified evaluation and development system (Friendship)
- Development Plan Tool: Select development goals and action steps with teachers (New Haven)
Create a system for monitoring teacher development and for using data to improve development plans.
Make professional development meaningful and effective for all teachers.
Differentiate professional development offerings to meet the needs of all teachers.
- Professional Development Guide: Provide teachers with development options (Charlotte-Mecklenburg )
- Edutopia Article: Avoid pitfalls in teacher professional development
Present information using methods that support adult learning and model effective classroom practice.
- Supporting adult learning (TNTP)
- Edutopia Article: Tips for increasing the effectiveness of teacher development
Prioritize staff development time on skills which have direct application in classrooms.
Allow teachers to practice new techniques in professional development settings outside their own classrooms.
- Session Planning Template: Plan for effective teacher development sessions (EL Haynes)
- Overview: Use opportunities for deliberate practice to build teachers’ skills (TNTP)
Use teacher feedback and other data to improve professional development.