450 resources from more than 50 great schools and districts.
Peer Culture and Collaboration
- Ready to go Resources you can use right away.
- Some assembly required Resources you can customize to your school's needs.
- Build your own Resources to spark your curiosity and help you plan for the long term.
Promote a common vision of effective teaching in your school.
Set expectations for your school’s culture with clear, rigorous, and consistent expectations for teacher effectiveness.
- Definition of Effective Teaching: Define effective teaching to guide your school (KIPP)
- Definition of Effective Teaching: Define effective teaching to guide your school (Rocketship)
Conduct multiple training and norming sessions for all staff members using your definition of effective teaching.
Set clear expectations by integrating your definition of effective teaching into teacher hiring, professional development, and evaluation.
Create opportunities for teachers to see their peers as models of effective teaching.
Offer effective teachers leadership roles such as mentors, coaches, lab classrooms, or grade-team leaders.
- Leadership Development Pathway: Provide leadership opportunities to effective teachers (Pittsburgh)
- Use Lab Classrooms to Expand a Teacher’s Impact (Online resource)
Facilitate a peer observation system in your school.
- Peer Observation Protocols: Provide peer observation protocols to staff (Hillsborough)
- Observation Tool: Peer observation informal feedback form (Strive)
Create a knowledge-sharing system for teachers.
Support high-quality teacher collaboration.
Ensure high quality opportunities for teachers in common grades/subjects to collaborate on lesson planning.
Address ineffective teaching at your school.
Share performance expectations and consequences with all teachers.
- Evaluation System: Define clear measures for evaluating teachers (Brighter Choice)
- Staff Handbook: Set clear expectations for staff and students (Soulsville)
Identify and provide reasonable support to ineffective teachers.
- Evaluation Form: Utilize a summative form to evaluate teachers (Indiana DOE)
- Evaluation Tool: Review teachers’ cultural commitment and performance (IDEA)
Counsel-out chronically ineffective teachers who do not improve their instructional practice.